January 2nd, 2009

Tea-drinker par excellence

Help get recognition for Civil Partnerships in Europe

France and Britain both have Civil Partnerships for, amongst other people, same sex couples. However, whilst the UK recognises the French Pacs, they don't recognise our Civil Partnerships, but at the same time they won't let anyone already in a Partnership take out a Pacs. There are quite a few British residents in France (and possibly elsewhere in Europe) who are affected by this, (see Pink News for more details).

A group of MEPs is getting together a petition to take to the European Parliament to try to persuade the French authorities to acknowledge CPs from other countries. However, they need 50% of MEPs to sign the petition by January 15th 2009 before it can go forward. This is 393 people and up to today only 121 have signed.

If you would like to help, could you write to all the MEPs in your area? There's a sample letter I've been given behind the cut.

Take this letter and go to Write to Them. Put in your postcode and it gives you all the MEPs in your area. Then you click that you want to write them a letter, fill out your name etc, paste the letter onto the page and send. They will send you an email immediately which you use to confirm that you want to send the letter. It will take you about 5 minutes.


Collapse )